|Note: Some NROC Courses use LTI to connect with your LMS. This connection allows students to work seamlessly in NROC Courses without a login. Instructors need a login to view reports.
This should not be confused with the LTI connection used by EdReady single sign-on (SSO).
Technical Specifications for NROC Course Installation
There are two common industry standards and protocols that your Learning Management System (LMS) must support for NROC Courses to be utilized.
You should contact your LMS' support department to confirm that they support these specifications. Some LMSes provide documentation on "how to install IMSCC files", or "how to set up an LTI connection".
IMSCC (IMS Common Cartridge) - Your LMS must be able to import a course provided in the IMSCC or "Common Cartridge" format (i.e., files that have a .imscc extension)
- All Courses
LTI v. 1.1 (Learning Tools Interoperability) - Your LMS must support the creation of an LTI (version 1.1) connection to our system so we can share data securely. This may be called a "tool" or "app" or some other name. The most common identifier for an LTI tool or app is that it has fields for a "key" and "secret". These act like a password for your system to access ours.
- NROC Developmental Math with Pre-Assessments
- NROC Developmental English
Confirm With Your LMS Support Team
There are two questions you should ask your support team:
- Is it possible to import an IMS Common Cartridge (IMSCC) file into [your LMS] to create a course?
- Does [your LMS] support the use of LTI (i.e., the use of a consumer key and secret) to connect with a third-party content provider for authorization and access to course content housed on the third-party's server?
- NROC Algebra 1
- NROC Developmental Math (standard version without pre-assessments)
LMSes Commonly Used by NROC Members
Based on our members' experiences and (in some cases) internal testing, we have confidence that the following LMSes support NROC Courses with both IMSCC imports and LTI connections.
Systems That Do Not Support NROC Courses
- Google Classroom - Does not allow IMSCC imports or LTI connections.
Getting Help from NROC
We at NROC will be happy to assist you with any questions or answer any questions your LMS support team may have. You can reach us by filling out the general support form at http://nrocnetwork.org/ticket. We respond to questions within one business day.